How do learn how to behave as men and women? In this provocative TED talk, Tony Porter talks about the societal “rules” that guide mens behavior.
Please address the following issues in this week’s Forum:
· What is in The Woman Box?
· How hard is it to act outside the rules society has set for each gender?
· What are some of the consequences of acting outside these rules?
· Do you think The Man Box or The Woman Box is the same in all families? In all cultures?
· Tony Porter says that the contents of The Man Box lead men to believe that violence against women is OK. Do you agree or disagree with this assertion?
· Tony Porter seems to be against stereotyping women, yet some viewers believe he stereotypes men in this video. Do you agree?
· Tony Porter says “My liberation as a man is tied to your liberation as a woman.” What do you think he means by this?
· What else did you find provocative in this talk?
Who is Tony Porter?
Tony Porter is the visionary and co-founder behind the nonproﬁt A Call to Men: The National Association of Men and Women Committed to Ending Violence Against Women. Porter’s message of engagement and self-examination has connected powerfully with numerous domestic and sexual violence programs for such high-proﬁle groups as the National Football League and the National Basketball Association, and colleges and universities around the country, including the US Military Academy at West Point and the US Naval Academy at Annapolis. Porter is also an international lecturer for the U.S. State Department, having done extensive work in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
He is a faculty member of the New York State Ofﬁce of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services Academy of Addiction Studies, where he co-authored their curriculum for clinicians who work with chemically dependent African-Americans. He also specializes in developing social justice models for human service organizations.
1 citation required