Background checks are generally conducted with the final candidate in the selection process. The background checks can include employment and education verification, references, criminal history, and other sources if they pertain to the job. In this Assignment, you will describe potential legal issues associated with background checks. You will also be reviewing a scenario and making a recommendation on what action to take.
In this Assignment, you will be assessed on the following outcome:
HR400-4: Assess how employment tools and documentation are used for employee selection.
Before starting this Assignment, review the Assignment Checklist.
You are the hiring manager for Home Improvement Center and need to fill a position for a night supervisor position. You have narrowed the selection to an applicant you think would be a good fit for the position. The applicant meets the job requirements and responded well to the competency-based interview questions you posed during the interview. You conducted reference checks on the applicant by contacting former employers and received positive results. However, the background check shows the applicant had been convicted of possession of illicit drugs ten years ago for which the applicant served time in prison. Respond to the following questions in a 2–3 page paper.
1. How do the results of the background check influence your decision to hire the applicant? Do you still hire the applicant, despite the results of the background check? Explain.
2. What are potential legal issues associated with background checks? Include a description of negligent hiring and defamation of character. Describe the steps an organization should take to prevent negligent hiring and defamation of character from occurring.
· This Assignment should be a 2–3 page Word document, in addition to the title and reference pages.
· It must be written in Standard American English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
· Respond to the questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples where asked.
· Your paper should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
· Your writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
1 of 2
Unit 8 [HR400: Employment and Staffing]
· A separate page at the end of your research paper should contain a list of references, in APA format. Use your textbook, the KU Online Library, and the internet for research.
· Be sure to cite were appropriate and reference all sources. Your sources and content should follow proper APA format. Review the APA formats found in the Kaplan Writing Center. To access the Kaplan Writing Center, select this link.
· Review the grading Rubric to ensure all points have been captured in the paper.
Directions for Submitting your Assignment
Be sure to respond to all the questions using the critical elements listed in the Assignment Checklist. Submit your Assignment in a separate Word document by the end of the unit by clicking the Dropbox tab and selecting Unit 8: Assignment from the dropdown menu, then attach your file. Make sure to save a copy of your work and be sure to confirm that your file uploaded correctly.