In this assignment, you will demonstrate your understanding of how history has shaped professional counseling in the 21st century. You will discuss key events or organizations that you believe have directly or indirectly influenced the practice of counseling today. Your understanding of the evolution of counseling over the years provides a solid foundation upon which your professional counselor identity will be built.
In a minimum of 200 words, respond to the following:
- Describe three events, acts, organizations, people, or activities, etc., that you believe have had the most significant impact on the development of counseling as a profession.
- Elaborate on why you believe the events, acts, etc., have impacted the development of the counseling profession in a major way.
- Explain how the information you learned in this module will contribute to your professional growth as a new counselor-in-training.
- Your discussion should clearly reflect your thoughtful and logical analysis of the information.
Support your rationale and analysis by using at least two resources from professional literature in your response. Professional literature may include peer-reviewed journal articles you can access through the Argosy University online library resources; relevant textbooks; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (websites ending in .edu or .gov).
Be sure to read all of your classmates’ original posts and respond to at least two of them. Your responses should be substantive, meaning they should encourage further dialogue and discussion, encourage your classmates to think about other aspects of the topic, compare your response to your classmates’ responses, or ask a relevant question, to better assist you with your understanding. Responses such as “I like/I agree” or “I don’t like/I don’t agree” are not complete enough.
Your discussion posts and all written assignments should reflect graduate-level writing skills and appropriate use of APA style, including in-text citations and references.
- By Wednesday, June 29, 2016, post your responses to this Discussion Area.